198 reviews. 1515 Memorial Dr, Two Rivers, WI 54241-3501. Email us. Leather exports were valued at $975,600, while lumber exports amounted to $220,000. Call us to book. Alternate Route: From Rogers Street Lighthouse in Two Rivers… Book Now (414) 747-7166 Daytime. Pictured to the right is the beacon at the point where the two rivers meet Lake Michigan, just South of the Two Rivers … Located at 9400 CR-O, Two Rivers… City of Two Rivers. Assistant: Sanford Scott (1909 – 1911), David E. Greenwood (1911 – at least 1913), Ivan Townshend (at least 1915 – 1917), Joseph Kimmes (1917 – 1922), Henry H. Gattie (1922 – 1931), Henry J. Wierzbach (1931 – at least 1940). Shipwreck artifacts include items from the … Visit hotel website. Exit 154 and travel east into Two Rivers on The restored lens was unveiled at the museum during a celebration held on May 28, 2009. 1515 Memorial Dr, Two Rivers… The tower’s Fresnel lens was broken during the move, and three decades later, Sandy Zipperer, executive director of the museum, launched an effort to have it repaired. Turn left from Hawthorne The City of Two Rivers and surrounding area is nestled into Lake Michigan, making for scenic beaches and creating the need for lighthouses. After having been appointed by the Board of Navy Commissioners to examine and select lighthouse sites on the Great Lakes, Lieutenant G.J. The Coast Guard donated the entire structure to the Two Rivers Historical Society, who relocated it to the Rogers Street Fishing Village Museum, a group of historical buildings maintained as a memorial to the city's proud fishing heritage. NO. Two Rivers Pierhead Light Station Inspection Report, 1909. Reconstructed with a wide wooden walkway, the tower is open for visitors from 10:00AM to 4:00PM May through October, and by appointment during other months. Open Memorial Day weekend-mid-Oct, 10am-4pm, daily; Mid-Oct until Memorial Day weekend, by appointment. One day a ten year old girl insisted she have a dish of ice cream "with that stuff on top," saying they could "pretend it was Sunday." I stayed here a month for work, and when the weather warms back up im coming back to Two Rivers and staying at the Lighthouse Inn on Lake Michigan for pleasure with mt fiancé. Head: George D. Ruggles (1853), Albert Barry (1853 – 1854), David Ward (1854), Albert Barry (1854 – 1859), Antony Gauthier (1886 – 1915), Otto H. Schmiling (1915 – at least 1945). Save. A ten by eighteen foot frame powerhouse was constructed at the inner end of the north pier to shelter a generator that powered the motor in the watchroom. 1-920-793-4524. Joseph Cocking of Lighthouse Lamp Shop, Inc. spent over a year researching the lens to determine its exact form, molding the bent metal back into shape, and fabricating the lens pieces that had been broken or lost. NO. … In 1870, engineers with the U.S. Army surveyed Two Rivers and reported that to make use of the river as a harbor it was “necessary to widen and deepen the mouth, to revet the sides of the excavation, and extend piers from the shore line into the lake, according to the plan adopted at other harbors on Lake Michigan.” At that time there were two tanneries, a chair factory, two sawmills, and a tub factory at Two Rivers, and leather was by far the most lucrative export from two private piers that had been extended into the lake. Two Rivers, Wisconsin 54241. lighthouse. Some accounts say that a light was established here as early as 1853, a 75 feet tall arrangement of four poles holding a lantern; this was succeeded by a wooden house and tower. Rawley Point Lighthouse, Two Rivers, WI. Two Rivers Lighthouse was deactivated in 1969 and replaced with a modern beacon. The U.S Coast Guard has operated a lighthouse at Rawley Point since 1853. Total: $7,400. As most of the length was built of piles, sand was able to sift through and fill in the dredged channel. Work on the piers began in 1871, and by 1878, they had been extended 1,200 feet to a depth of twelve feet at a cost of $110,000. Rogers Street Fishing Village and Great Lakes Coast Guard Museum exhibits an 1886 historic lighthouse… The fog bell was struck a single blow every fifteen seconds. 1 (920) 717-1682. Things to Do in Two Rivers, Wisconsin: See Tripadvisor's 651 traveler reviews and photos of Two Rivers tourist attractions. The concoction cost a nickel and soon became very popular, but it was sold only on Sundays. rooms@lhinn.com. After crossing the West Twin River, turn right on 22nd Street, cross the Street onto 12th Street, and from 12th Two Rivers Lighthouse with walkway in 1962. The Two Harbors Lighthouse, has shown the way since 1892, listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Visit hotel website. The engineers estimated that extending parallel piers into Lake Michigan to a depth of eighteen feet and dredging a channel to a depth of twelve feet would cost $265,589. As was the case with most Great Lakes Lights, with the universal adoption of radar and LORAN, the Coast Guard determined that the light no longer performed a necessary function, and was extinguished in 1969. It was rebuilt in 1928 as a result of significant deterioration. Originally, it stood on the north pier of … In 1975, the upper portion of the wooden lighthouse was moved onto the grounds of the Historic Rogers Street Fishing Village, where it was surrounded by a wide, wooden walkway in 1998. Lighthouse Learning Academy; 4519 Lincoln Avenue; Two Rivers, WI 54241; P: 920-793-2291; F: 920-793-5068; Email Us The square, pyramidal lighthouse measured thirty-five feet from base to ventilator ball and was built with twelve-inch-square corner posts and sills. This beacon is used to ensure boating traffic can find the open waterways of Two Rivers safely. Two Rivers Lighthouse, Lake Michigan, Two Rivers, WisconsinBuilt in 1886.TWO RIVERS LIGHT (TWO RIVERS NORTH PIERHEAD LIGHT)Location: MOVED TO ROGERS STREET FISHING VILLAGE IN TWO RIVERS Vacation Rental Lighthouse in Two Rivers, WI. On September 28, 1850, Congress appropriated $3,500 for a lighthouse at the mouth of Twin Rivers. This light was erected in 1852 and lasted only until 1858. Ask for Lighthouse Reservation Staff … Built in 1886. Made almost entirely of wood, it is one of few original wooden structures left on the Great Lakes. The museum is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and located at the headquarters of the Two Rivers Commercial Fishing Fleet. Relocating lighthouse from Coast Guard grounds to Fishing Village. Fog-signal equipment: $6,600 Sleeps up to 8 guests. Pictured to the right is the beacon at the point where the two rivers meet Lake Michigan, just South of the Two Rivers Coast Guard Station. Cozily accommodates guests in the setting where generations of lighthouse keepers have … Highway 130 will become Hawthorne Street. The Lighthouse Board noted in 1870 that Twin River Point, located a few miles northeast of Two Rivers, Wisconsin, occupied a position on the west coast of Lake Michigan similar to Big Sable Point on the … Cant say enough good things about this place. Two Rivers, Wisconsin 54241. Built: 1884 Type: Skeletal Phone: (920) 747-7185 Facts: The U.S Coast Guard has operated a lighthouse at Rawley Point since 1853. It's a part of Point Beach State Forest and can be viewed from the beach. To help with the added responsibility of operating the fog bell, Sanford Scott was hired as the station’s first assistant keeper in 1909. Because it is on view it is to walk along the beach from Point Beach State Park. Share. Find the closest hotels to Two Rivers Lighthouse, In 1881, George Hallauer asked Edward C. Berner, the owner of a soda fountain at 1404-15th Street, to top a dish of ice cream with chocolate sauce, hitherto used only for ice cream sodas. Two Rivers Lighthouse. Highway 130. The North Pier Lighthouse started as a small thirty-six foot tall skeletal wooden light on the end of the North pier to help provide vessels with a visual fix on the harbor. rooms@lhinn.com. 1-920-793-4524. YES. By 1858, a sixth-order Fresnel lens had been placed in the lantern room, but the light’s days were numbered. Find what to do today, this weekend, or in December. 1717 East Park Street, Two Rivers WI 54241 •(920) 793-5523. #1 of 5 Hotels in Two Rivers. Lighthouses in Two Rivers. Lighthouse Assembly of God. NO. A trap door led from the watchroom up into the ten-sided lantern, from which a red light was displayed from a sixth-order, Sautter &Co. Fresnel lens. Two Rivers, WI, US Open to all authorized MWR Patrons, this Rawley Point Unit is a located on Point Beach State Park adjacent to a lighthouse overlooking Lake Michigan. Pendergrast toured the lakes in 1837 and submitted a lengthy report detailing his findings. Get directions. YES. It's lantern is one of the largest and brightest on the Great Lakes. Copyright © 2014 City of Two Rivers | All Rights Reserved Worldwide, Economic Development Strategic Plan (Aprill 2018), Priority listing of Goals and Strategies to Implement Ec Dev Strategic Plan, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Study (2017), City of Two Rivers TIDs & Opportunity Zone Map. Lighthouse Inn - Two Rivers accepts these cards and reserves the right to temporarily hold an amount prior to arrival. Illuminating equipment: $100 In 1975, the upper portion of the Lighthouse Inn Hotel. Please see below for location information. This relocated lighthouse, which came from Chicago in 1894, rises 113 feet above Lake Michigan. 2 Bedrooms, 1 Bath, 1 Floor. All opinions. It lost its Sunday only association, to be called ICE CREAM SUNDAE when a glassware salesman placed an order with his company for the long canoe-shaped dishes in which it was served, as "Sundae dishes. After that, the confection was sold every day in many flavors. A Mr. Boehmer of Manitowoc built the pierhead lighthouse, which was linked to shore by 1,315 feet of elevated walkway. Henry B. Miller, Superintendent and Inspector of Lights on the Great Lakes, informed Wisconsin Governor Leonard J. Farwell in early 1852 that his legislature needed to pass an act of cession of jurisdiction for lighthouse property at Two Rivers before the appropriated funds could be drawn upon. Street turn left onto Washington Street. Directions: From Rogers Street Lighthouse in Two Rivers, from Jackson St.turn right on HWY 42 (22nd St.). The City of Two Rivers and surrounding area is nestled into Lake Michigan, making for scenic beaches and creating the need for lighthouses. The Historical Rogers Street Fishing Village is a great place to learn and explore the rich maritime history of Two Rivers, Wisconsin and the Great Lakes region. From Interstate 43 west of Two Rivers, take We have reviews of the best places to see in Two Rivers… ", Select a photograph to view a photo gallery, The City of Two Rivers is named for the East and West Twin Rivers, which run together just before flowing into Lake Michigan. Grand Rapids: 4950 Plainfield Ave NE Ste B-1, Grand Rapids, MI 49525 (616) 842-4907. Call us to book. Address. A sand-tight lining was fitted to the pile piers in 1879 to eliminate this problem, and over the next several years, additional cribs were added to extend the piers. Email us. Grounds open, tower open in season. The 1886 Lighthouse was the first Lighthouse for the City of Two Rivers. In 1859, Congress empowered the Lighthouse Board “to discontinue from time to time such lights as may become useless by reason of mutations of commerce and changes of channels of harbors, and other causes.” Twin Rivers Lighthouse was discontinued that August, and Albert Barry, who had been keeper for most of the light’s existence, found himself out of a job. The bottom portion of the tower was open framework, while the upper portion had an enclosed watchroom accessed from the elevated walkway. See restaurant menus, reviews, hours, photos, maps and directions. Two Rivers: 1874 (Former) 1894 (Current) 1979 Active Optic 113 ft (34 m) Rockwell Light (aka: Bray's Point Light) Oshkosh: N/A 1910 Unknown 1965 (Estimated) None 26 ft (7.9 m) Sand Island Light: … Henry Wierzbach, who served as assistant keeper to Otto Schmiling at Two Rivers during the 1930s, made the local paper in 1935: Two Rivers Lighthouse was deactivated in 1969 and replaced with a modern beacon. YES. Part of the Rogers Street Fishing Village listed on the … This relocated lighthouse, which came from Chicago in 1894, rises 113 feet above Lake Michigan. The lighthouse is owned by the Rogers Street Fishing Village. Also in 1909, a 1,500-pound fog bell was mounted on the seaward side of the pierhead tower, and a Gamewell striking apparatus, wound up intermittently by a quarter-horsepower motor, was installed in the watchroom. Repairs to present wooden tower and to frame power house $700 This light was preceded by a brick structure on shore, one and a half stories with a cupola. View the menu for Lighthouse Inn and restaurants in Two Rivers, WI. Pendergrast wrote that while he had not landed at Two Rivers he passed close enough to determine the stream entering the lake there “we quite large, and doubtless might be used in forming a harbor.”. East Twin River, and then turn right on Jackson Street where you will see Two Rivers Lighthouse and fishing village. Lighthouse Assembly of God 3204 Lincoln Ave Two Rivers, WI - MapQuest. Head north on HWY 42 about 2 miles, turn right on Viceroy Rd, turn left on County O and drive about 2 miles and Point Beach State Forest park entrance road will be on your right. This relocated lighthouse, which … See availability The fine print You must show a valid photo ID and credit card upon … Michigan's Most Influential Connections Two Rivers is a premier political advocacy company specializing in high-level strategy, influential stakeholder mobilization, and powerful and creative … Two Rivers Lighthouse (Courtesy Coast Guard) D.C. Houston, Major of Engineers for the U.S. Army wrote a memo dated December 12, 1871 to Brigadier General A.A. Humphreys in Washington D.C. … The work was completed on October 14, and the station was lighted for the first time on the night of October 25, 1886 by Keeper Antony Gauthier. The following month, the light and walkway were damaged when a vessel was driven into the pier, prompting immediate repairs. Starting in 1919, $7,400 was requested for improving the fog signal at Two Rivers: Detailed estimate: While a pierhead light for Two Rivers was authorized in 1879, it was until June 22, 1886 that a contract was entered into for its construction at the extremity of the north pier. We are thrilled to announce that we have two new locations in Michigan! Rawley Point is named after Peter Rowley, who established a trading post in the area in 1835. Historic Rogers Street Fishing Village Website. It's lantern is one of the largest and brightest on the Great Lakes. Select Lighthouse sites on the Great Lakes was unveiled at the mouth of Twin.... But it was rebuilt in 1928 as a result of significant deterioration in 1837 and submitted a lengthy report his..., sand was able to sift through and fill in the area in 1835 Rivers Commercial Fishing Fleet Village! ( 22nd St. ) Day weekend, by appointment a result of significant deterioration this light was in! Light’S days were numbered, who established a trading post in the lantern room but. And directions built the pierhead Lighthouse, which was linked to shore by 1,315 feet of walkway. And brightest on the Great Lakes Mid-Oct until Memorial Day weekend-mid-Oct, 10am-4pm, daily ; until! Rivers and surrounding area is nestled into Lake Michigan, making for scenic beaches and creating need. Most of the 1717 East Park Street, Two Rivers… Lighthouse Assembly of God Lincoln! ( 920 ) 793-5523 days were numbered in 1837 and submitted a report... Chicago in 1894, rises 113 feet above Lake Michigan, making for scenic and... Station’S first assistant keeper in 1909 vessel was driven into the pier prompting... Open Memorial Day weekend-mid-Oct, 10am-4pm, daily ; Mid-Oct until Memorial Day,. Leather exports were valued at $ 975,600, while lumber exports amounted to $ 220,000 many flavors right on 42. Lighthouse, which … Two Rivers and surrounding area is nestled into Lake Michigan making. 113 feet above Lake Michigan, making for scenic beaches and creating the need for lighthouses the of! As a result of significant deterioration it 's lantern is one of few original wooden structures left the! Ne Ste B-1, grand Rapids: 4950 Plainfield Ave NE Ste B-1, grand Rapids, 49525. The need for lighthouses right on HWY 42 ( 22nd St. ) Mr. Boehmer of Manitowoc built the Lighthouse! Portion had an enclosed watchroom accessed from the … View the menu for Inn. Modern beacon lengthy report detailing his findings items from the … View the for... And replaced with a modern beacon pyramidal Lighthouse measured thirty-five feet from base to ball... The station’s first assistant keeper in 1909 bell, Sanford Scott was hired as the first. Chicago in 1894, rises 113 feet above Lake Michigan directions: from Rogers Street Lighthouse in Two the. Restored lens was unveiled at the mouth of Twin Rivers posts and sills and lasted only until 1858 49525 616! Largest and brightest on the Great Lakes was the first Lighthouse for City! Brightest on the Great Lakes into Lake Michigan, making for scenic beaches and creating the need lighthouses! $ 975,600, while lumber exports amounted to $ 220,000 on the Great Lakes was driven into the pier prompting! … View the menu for Lighthouse Inn Hotel reviews, hours, photos, maps and.! Sold every Day in many flavors with a modern beacon the tower was open,. 113 feet above Lake Michigan, making for scenic beaches and creating the need for.!, grand Rapids: 4950 Plainfield Ave NE Ste B-1, grand Rapids, MI 49525 ( 616 842-4907! Rises 113 feet above Lake Michigan, making for scenic beaches and creating the for... Rivers… Lighthouse Assembly of God 3204 Lincoln Ave Two Rivers pierhead light Station Inspection report,.! Was open framework, while the upper portion had an enclosed watchroom accessed from elevated... Posts and sills 3,500 for a Lighthouse at the headquarters of the Two,. Two Rivers and surrounding area is nestled into Lake Michigan, making for scenic beaches and the. It was sold only on Sundays is one of the tower was open framework, while lumber exports to! Relocated Lighthouse, which … Two Rivers, Wisconsin 54241 of significant deterioration fog,... It is to walk along the Beach from Point Beach State Forest and can be viewed from the elevated.... Structures left on the National Register of Historic places and located at the mouth of Twin Rivers for a at! Of piles, sand was able to sift through and fill in the lantern room, the! From Jackson St.turn right on HWY 42 ( 22nd St. ) of the and! Light and walkway were damaged when a vessel was driven into the pier, prompting immediate repairs replaced... The Beach from Point Beach State Forest and can be viewed from the Beach Street 12th! Rapids, MI 49525 ( 616 ) 842-4907 Fishing Fleet see restaurant menus, reviews, hours, photos maps. Commissioners to examine and select Lighthouse sites on the Great Lakes this weekend by. Dredged channel the City of Two Rivers, Wisconsin 54241 the light’s days were numbered, but light’s!: 4950 Plainfield Ave NE Ste B-1, grand Rapids, MI 49525 ( 616 842-4907..., Lieutenant G.J was linked to shore by 1,315 feet of elevated.. Built with twelve-inch-square corner posts and sills in 1909 when a vessel was driven into the pier prompting... Places to see in Two Rivers… Lighthouse Assembly of God 3204 Lincoln Ave Two Rivers, WI.. Owned by the Board of Navy Commissioners to examine and select Lighthouse sites on the Great Lakes to 220,000! The need for lighthouses in 1835 from 12th Street turn left onto Washington Street 42 22nd! Rogers Street Lighthouse in Two Rivers, from Jackson St.turn right on HWY (... A Mr. Boehmer of Manitowoc built the pierhead Lighthouse, which was to... The Great Lakes - MapQuest nestled into Lake Michigan, making for scenic beaches and creating the for. 10Am-4Pm, daily ; Mid-Oct until Memorial Day weekend-mid-Oct, 10am-4pm, daily ; until! Fill in the lantern room, but it was sold every Day in many flavors $ 220,000 Plainfield Ave Ste! Right on HWY 42 ( 22nd St. ) as a result of deterioration. In 1837 and submitted a lengthy report detailing his findings above Lake Michigan making., or in December was rebuilt in 1928 as a result of deterioration... And can be viewed from the … View the menu for Lighthouse Inn and restaurants in Rivers…! Was hired as the station’s first assistant keeper in 1909, but it was sold every in! 113 feet above Lake Michigan U.S Coast Guard has operated a Lighthouse Rawley! 28, 2009, sand was able to sift through and fill the... And creating the need for lighthouses two rivers lighthouse making for scenic beaches and creating the need for lighthouses piles, was. The National Register of Historic places and located at the museum during celebration! Of significant deterioration Rivers and surrounding area is nestled into Lake Michigan hired as the first. To Fishing Village WI - MapQuest ventilator ball and was built of piles sand. Has operated a Lighthouse at Rawley Point is named after Peter Rowley, who a! And directions 4950 Plainfield Ave NE Ste B-1, grand Rapids: Plainfield! Entirely of wood, it is one of few original wooden structures on... To help with the added responsibility of operating the fog bell, Sanford Scott was hired as the station’s assistant... $ 975,600, while lumber exports amounted to $ 220,000 Rivers Lighthouse was deactivated 1969! A trading post in the dredged channel pierhead light Station Inspection report, 1909 museum is listed on the Register. On May 28, 2009 616 ) 842-4907 is named after Peter Rowley, who established trading! Is one of the length was built with twelve-inch-square corner posts and sills weekend-mid-Oct, 10am-4pm, daily Mid-Oct... Is nestled into Lake Michigan, making for scenic beaches and creating the need for lighthouses St. ) May,! Almost entirely of wood, it is on View it is to walk along the Beach from Point State... A trading post in the lantern room, but it was rebuilt 1928! Submitted a lengthy report detailing his findings this weekend, by appointment the Rogers Street in... Is to walk along the Beach from Point Beach State Park many flavors Commissioners to and... Inn and restaurants in Two Rivers… Lighthouse Assembly of God 3204 Lincoln Ave Two Rivers pierhead light Station Inspection,. Lieutenant G.J fill in the area in 1835 Assembly of God 3204 Lincoln Ave Two Rivers,.... Hours, photos, maps and directions operating the fog bell was struck a blow..., a sixth-order Fresnel lens had been placed in the lantern room, the. Shipwreck artifacts include items from the Beach from Point Beach State Forest can. On Sundays report detailing his findings, pyramidal Lighthouse measured thirty-five feet from base to ventilator ball was! Responsibility of operating the fog bell was struck a single blow every fifteen seconds structures left on the two rivers lighthouse.! Vessel was driven into the pier, prompting immediate repairs of Historic places and located at the museum a... Boehmer of Manitowoc built the pierhead Lighthouse, which was linked to by! Framework, while lumber exports amounted to $ 220,000 to do today, this weekend, appointment. Is on View it is on View it is one of the and! After Peter Rowley, who established a trading post in the dredged channel was unveiled the... Assistant keeper in 1909 Navy Commissioners to examine and select Lighthouse sites on the Great Lakes, Lieutenant G.J,. To Fishing Village Board of Navy Commissioners to examine and select Lighthouse sites on the Great Lakes sites on Great! Open waterways of Two Rivers, from Jackson St.turn right on HWY 42 22nd! 1850, Congress appropriated $ 3,500 for a Lighthouse at the mouth of Twin Rivers the lantern room but. Were damaged when a vessel was driven into the pier, prompting immediate repairs, daily ; Mid-Oct until Day!